Tuesday 16 September 2014

Remixing Processing Precedent:

As I stated in my previous post, I wanted to remix the oscillating precedent I found as I felt that there was real potential in the forms. However the way that the design was placed on the canvas and the way other variables were affecting the design, the forms are emphasised as well as they could be. 

Below is my process in remixing this precedent and in doing so, creating something that is a lot more interesting to look at. I felt that the most interesting part of the precedent were the start and ends of the oscillating design - where they taper out. Therefore this is what drove my remix, I wanted to create more emphasis on the tapering of the form. Please keep in mind that there was a lot of testing of different values in between each of these major steps:

So to start off my remix I have firstly changed the thickness and rounding of each of the lines individual lines. These values were originally 3 and 4 respectively. This created a very blocky shape that just in mind personal opinion needed space between each line in order to help to starting focusing more attention on the oscillation. The values are now 2 and 10 respectively.  
Next step was to translate the shape in order to focus the view point on the tapering of the form. As I stated above, I found that it was the most interesting an graceful part of the design and therefore needed more emphasis on it. Hence, I have changed the start position on the x-axis from 0 to width/5. Subsequently this means that the design starts well off the canvas with the tapering finishing about one fifth from the left hand side of the canvas. The negative space on the left hand side of the tapered form means that the viewers eye will not continue to flow off the other side of the canvas as the shape oscillates. 
Just another screenshot of oscillating in action once I had changed the code to make it start of the right hand side of the canvas.
Next step, I liked how the remix was looking before, however I felt that if I sped up the frequency of the oscillating, it would create a 'whip' sort of look at the end of the design. Therefore to achieve this I increased the frequency from 0.5 to 2 respectively. 
By increasing the frequency, the form began to be very hectic due to the fact that the range was from -200,200 so it was continuously stretching and shrinking to meet those values. Therefore to help create a sense of order again, I decreased the value to -100,100 and thus focusing the design through the canvas' middle horizontal third so it is firstly easier for the viewer to watch, but secondly so it is a lot more aesthetically pleasing.
Another screenshot following decreasing the range of oscillation. 
There are three sets of variables to operate the oscillation. Along the x and y-axis like the ones I was manipulating in the above screenshots, there is oscillation for rotation and one for height. I have not decided to touch height as I had it the way I wanted to look in that regard, however I wanted to emphasise the rotation of the form. Therefore in increased the range of the rotation from -180,180 to -360,360. In doing so it really finished off this remix how I had wanted. It is a lot more interesting than before with emphasis on what I feel are the most effective parts of the form..

No comments:

Post a Comment