Wednesday 30 July 2014

Composition 1: Quartz Composer

The coding programme that we have learnt this week is called Quartz Composer. This programme is very different from the previous two programmes we have learnt to date. Instead of being word based in which the coder inputs lines of code and then compile to see their composition, Quartz uses a more visual flow graph approach. The coder chooses a patch and then links the output functions of it to one another patches' input to create the code. I'm not going to lie, this programme was somewhat complicated at times, however the potential of this programme over the others is far greater.. 

A video of my first composition..


My design process using the programme Quartz Composer is as follows:

Code in order to create the Kaleidoscope video above. This uses the inbuilt camera within the iMac and outputs the video into the kaleidoscope image/filter function which then converts it onto the billboard to display it on screen.
These are the parameters that I am using in order to create the above kaleidoscope. The count refers to the number of outputted images of myself (from the iMacs camera). I am not really sure about what the centre parameters specifically applies to but put simply, it changes the look of the centre of the kaleidoscope. And the angle refers to the angle in which each image on the kaleidoscope is on in regards to the billboard.

















I have now experimented using the black and white function to try and emulate an interesting mood and aesthetic from my kaleidoscope. Being black and white it creates an eerie look and feel that is almost ominous. I feel that it has completely changed the look and feel of my original kaleidoscope composition.











Something that I like about this interactive design is that the outputted image will always change depending on what is being recorded by the camera. Therefore the environment, the person's clothes, how close or far away one is to the camera itself etc. etc. will all determine what the kaleidoscope image will be..

No comments:

Post a Comment